Sunday, November 17, 2013

Procedure for disposing of Sodai Gomi ("Oversized Garbage")

When at last you resolve to dispose of that rickety old step ladder or the rusty folding chair that's been in the shed out back for as long as anyone can remember, first call your town's Collection Center to tell them how big the item you want to dispose of is. You will be told the Handling Fee and when the item will be picked up. With this information in hand, you can go to any convenience store, bank, or post office and buy a Collection Sticker, which will cost between 200 and 1,000 yen, depending. Write your name on the tag and paste it on the item to be disposed of.  Set the item out by 8:00 am on the day it is scheduled to be collected.

TVs, refrigerators, air-conditioners, and washing machines cannot be disposed of this way, however. You should ask at the store where you bought the appliance to pick it up but if for some reason they are not cooperative, call your town's Home Appliance Recycling Promotion Committee for advice on how to proceed.

To dispose of a home computer, contact the manufacturer. If you are unable to get assistance, contact your town's Personal Computer 3-R Promotion Center for help.

Procedure for disposing of an animal carcass

Call your town's Resources & Waste Recycling Bureau to schedule collection.

If the owner of the pet is unknown, there is no fee. If the pet is yours, the fee is 6,500 yen. The ashes will not be returned to you but if you would like to have a separate cremation and take the ashes home, call your area's Ceremonial Hall. 

- from a town's 38-page manual instructing how to dispose of garbage

No comments:

Post a Comment